There are phases where I rank BLM over BG, but it often sounds lifeless, whereas at least BG was flawed but restless and interested in everything (too many things) at once. The first two are obviously untouchable as fan favorites and cultural moments alike.
Post by chrislovesgarbage on May 10, 2012 10:18:17 GMT -5
1. Not Your Kind of People 2. Bleed Like Me 3. Version 2.0 4. Tie Between Debut and BG at 1 point I liked BG more than version 2.0 and debut but some of the songs wore off on me. So maybe after some time NYKOP may not be my top.
My ranking keeps changing as I listen more to NYKOP. I'm trying to be objective here...if I were to just rank them without thinking about it NYKOP would probably be first, just because I'm loving it all so much right now
1. Bleed Like Me--I feel like this album has been getting a lot of hate lately; maybe that hate has been around since its release, but I don't for the life of me recall fans hating on it so much as it seems they are now. I know it's not an outright *favorite* amongst even the hardcorest (I think I just made up a word!) of us, but it's difficult for me to find any faults with it. I've been a fan since 1995, but for some reason this album just really connects with me so much more so than the others. It also just so happens to contain a whole slew of what I consider to be classic G songs: Bad Boyfriend, Run Baby Run, Why Do You Love Me, Bleed Like Me, Metal Heart, Sex is Not the Enemy, Happy Home.
2. Version 2.0--See above comment "it's hard for me to find any faults with it." I guess it isn't #1 with me just for no other reason than I like BLM more. But this is the album that solidified my love for the band back when I was first entering high school and going through a really awkward stage of my life. This is why I love the band: they've been with me since I was about 12, and have helped me through too many rough patches to count.
3. Not Your Kind of People--I think once it doesn't feel so new to me anymore, this album will settle into a solid 3rd on my list. Right now it's kinda close to all I listen to and I'm loving it. It did take some time, though, before I completely warmed up to it. Even songs other fans have liked from the get-go (Control, Sugar) took time with me, but now I love them just as much as the early stuff. I think this is a great album.
4. Garbage--Such a good start, and it only misses out because the band's later work is so fantastic. I can't believe this was released coming close now to 20 years ago as it still feels current.
5. beautifulgarbage--Eh. If there was ever a low point in the band's career, it's this era as a whole. I liked the album, but I lost a lot of interest in Garbage with this record. It didn't feel like the band I grew up listening to anymore. I was still a fan, and still went to their shows, bought up all the singles and stuff, but it just wasn't the same. Come to think of it, this album might be the reason I like BLM so much: because BLM was such a return to true Garbage form that we hadn't had since 1998-1999. Still, it has some great music, even some staples in the band's catalogue, like Cherry Lips and Shut Your Mouth...all time favorites.
Post by butterflycollector on May 10, 2012 14:49:08 GMT -5
1.) Version 2.0 (I just find this album basically flawless) 2.) Bleed Like Me (I know a lot of people dislike this one, but I, personally, cannot see why. Maybe it's because I really connected with some of the songs. I dunno, but I've always loved it.) 3.) NYKOP 4.) Garbage (pains me to rank this as #4, because it is SO not a fourth place album... I would probably have it tie with NYKOP if I could.) 5.) BeautifulGarbage (I actually really like BG, but out of all the records it was probably my least favorite.)
Post by Jigsaws apprentice on May 10, 2012 15:41:24 GMT -5
heya I'm new ... but been a fan since 13 like a huge fan ... Saw them live yesturday, best night of my life!!! almost cried when they walked on - but anyhoo this is how I rate the albums
1. Garbage 2. Not Your Kind of People ! (it might go down but as its new and I love it Ive placed it here, time will tell if its for good) 3. Bleed Like Me 4. Version 2.0 - contains some of my most favourite songs but as a whole I dont like it as much as Bleed Like Me 5. Beautifulgarbage - untouchable anyone??? - contains v.good ballads though and Silence is Golden and cherry lips which I love both
Post by darklingksayhey on May 10, 2012 19:05:39 GMT -5
I love every on of garbages albums! It's so hard to pick an order because each of them have a place in my heart! There is no g album I dislike but this is my order: Garbage: this is my first pick because its personal to me since it was an album I first heard when I was about five. Im 18 now and I still listen to it all the time. The songs are great and has a lot of g classics Nykop: I pick this as my second because it still has their original vibe and let's face it, it's amazing. I'm so happy it's everything I hoped for and more. I've been falling asleep to it Blm: this would be my third because some of my favorite songs are on this. Bleed like me helped me at a rough time in my life so it has memories of mine attached to it. Why do you love me is a great song and is a powerful song I love it Version 2.0: even tho it's my third, I still love it. All the songs are genius and I think I'm paranoid is one of the best g songs eer Bg
Fix me now I wish you would, bring me back to life
Post by Garbage Addict on May 10, 2012 19:19:40 GMT -5
Again it's hard to be objective when I've only had 2 weeks if that to fully digest NYKOP. But I will say it will most likely become my third favourite album. The live renditions of the 4 new songs went down a treat last night at Troxy.
Im clearly in the minority - still believe BG is a much better record than BLM. BLM was too safe and sonically bland though WDYLM is one of my fav tracks from G. BG is flawed certainly but I love the experimentation and has some of the best ballads at least on there. Always stood by that record even when BLM was out and everyone was bashing it.
Post by itiparanoid13 on May 10, 2012 20:18:32 GMT -5
Long time reader, new poster. Hey, everyone.
1: Version 2.0 (Quintessential 90s alt album. If the topic of 90s music ever comes up, I always point to this. It has it all)
2: Not Your Kind of People (Tons of killer songs off the bat. It's like an amalgam of all the albums. You get your industrial/grunge/alt of Version 2.0, you get your more sample-heavy rock from Garbage, you get your softer more thoughtful and mellow stuff from BG, and you get your straight up balls to the wall rock from Bleed Like Me)
3: Garbage (It's a killer album with tons of classics, obviously, but for the most part it's not aged as well as the others. Not saying it hasn't aged well, because it has. But not as many songs stuck with me)
4: beautifulgarbage (This was always a weird one. When this came out I was about 14 or so and I was ready for the rock of the last one. I was disappointed. However, as I've matured, I've grown to really appreciate the album. I think the Absolute Garbage remastered versions of SYM and Cherry Lips are far better than the album ones, but this album has some really underappreciated classics like Nobody Loves You and Silence is Golden)
4: Bleed Like Me (I place this the same as beautifulgarbage. It's a good album and I dig the more rock approach. However, something struck me as weird about this always and it never hit me until NYKOP came out: it doesn't really sound much like Garbage. I like the change in tone to straight rock, but it doesn't have the same impression on me as the others. But some classics which I place in the upper echelon of their music came from it, like Metal Heart and Bad Boyfriend)
So hopefully that wasn't too stupid and wordy for one of my first posts, haha. Glad to see other people love the band as much. Major influence.
Edit: One quick note I forgot: Control, to me, is the single best song the band has released since the 90s. It's unbelievably good.
I'm really not sure how I would rank these songs. In every CD there is a song I really really love. I consider them to be my absolute favorites! I love Special, You Look So Fine, Cup of Coffee is really growing on me, Why Do You Love Me? (I loved it so much on first listen), It's All Over But The Crying ,and Tell Me Where It Hurts.
Right now my favorite is Not Your Kind of People. I love their ballads.
I feel like I'm one of the weird Garbage fans just because I wouldn't place their first CD at the top of my list.
Last Edit: May 10, 2012 21:21:32 GMT -5 by memo90061
I initally thought this would be quite easy, but now I'm thinking more about it, and reading all the other opinions, it's getting increasingly difficult. 1. Garbage. Probably because it was their and my first. Listening to NYKOP reminds me of its sound though and I really miss it - been a while since I gave it a listen. 2. Not Your Kind Of People. 3. Version 2.0. It was tough choosing between these. Not quite familiar with the new record yet, but I'm really enjoying it so far. V2 has some really fantastic tunes on it, but something about it just doesn't quite click with me. It certainly sounds dated I think. 4. Bleed Like Me. Again, It does have some great songs (some of my favourite) but the general sound was, well, missing something, and it doesn't quite work as a whole. 5. Beautiful Garbage. Not bad for a bands worst album, but yeah, this one really missed out on something. Not sure if it was the production or the variety of styles but it just sounds weak and I really think I'd struggle to listen to the whole thing in one go now.
Dance Away: And, Elvis Costello's wife is Diana Krall. Oh god, do I love the music of Diana Krall! And, I know it's an aspiration of Shirley to do the kind of music that Krall is doing. Shirley's mother was a 'big band' music singer (sample "Glenn Miller" big band)
Nov 15, 2014 19:09:58 GMT -5
thebestsalvia: Yes, Salvia like Mescaline but it is useful for meditation or tired less. But it's possible when you will be taken Salvia in right quantity.
May 26, 2015 5:38:17 GMT -5
pavementlicker: Half the people on Periscope seeing me join their feed-- "Pavementlicker?!!"
Oct 13, 2015 9:37:01 GMT -5
haiduk: Salvia is great. It is so insane!
Aug 30, 2016 13:33:42 GMT -5
haiduk: Metal fans, check out Haiduk - DemonicoN \m/ \m/
Aug 30, 2016 13:34:31 GMT -5
david0913: Oh my, this is too deep to believe; the amount of conceptualization and depth of the discourse can only make me feel...what do you guys talk about on here, anything [sigh]?
Sept 9, 2016 1:51:54 GMT -5
david0913: Ah, the new album is great!
Sept 9, 2016 1:53:18 GMT -5
galactus123: Strange Little Birds is amazing
Sept 20, 2016 15:17:57 GMT -5
orthodoxparadox36: I think that album actually saved, well, a few of the most important things in my life. I am eternally grateful for the way you all chose to dedicate your collective creative genius; something which makes it that much more special, not to mention, genuine!
Jan 25, 2017 22:32:23 GMT -5